It's Thankful Thursday once again! What am I thankful for today?
I think a key ingredient to the thankful pie is perspective. Yesterday I was driving on the highway attempting to think about what I could write for Thankful Thursday. While I was trying to put two thoughts together my little guy was having a mini-tantrum in his car seat; he was exhausted and I couldn't drown out his screaming. It was hard to be thankful for the dreadful noise filling my van, and it obviously wasn't the time for me to be thinking about anything other than getting him home to bed.
Some days are filled with kids who play happily together--kids who eat their veggies and don't spill cups of milk on the freshly cleaned carpets. Sometimes the kids sit quietly in their car seats and take long naps and sleep in late. If my kids were always cherubs in the car and only slept all day and never screamed "that's mine!" to a sibling, I would probably take a lot for granted. And I would never have the opportunity to correct behavior; I would miss out on hundreds of chances to teach them that the world doesn't revolve around ME.
- Today I am learning to be thankful for loud vans.
- I'm learning to be thankful for short naps and kids who don't require much sleep.
- I'm thankful that curious minds allow kids to make fresh messes when I have just organized the entire house.
- I'm thankful for the natural tendency to prefer Fun Dip over broccoli and carrots.
- I'm thankful for big brothers and a girl who only wears dresses and a little guy with tons of spunk.
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses."